Monday, March 19, 2012

Is the word "NEVER" a "curse" word?

I know that good or bad, nothing is impossible!

Some people believe that nothing good can happen. Most likely with that attitude, it will not. I'm a hopeless optimistic. I would like to see the glass as being half full vs. half empty. I'd like to think I can be all and do all in every situation. I usually DO find a way when I want something bad enough, but is will power enough though? I really don't think that it is. I believe it takes a supernatural strength beyond ourselves in order to "do" and in a lot of cases "not do" in our lives.

I believe that we live our lives and we'd like to believe that we can do it all ourselves with no help from anyone or anything. We think we are invincible at times. We are only if we have the Lord by our sides. "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Christ is the supernatural strength I am talking about. He was not 100% flesh. When He tells me, "I'll NEVER leave you nor forsake you," I know this it to be true. I feel it with everything within me. We however are flesh and blood and are only strongest when we are close to Him. When He says He'll never leave us, I know it's true but can we truly trust the word of men when they tell us they will never do something? Can we trust ourselves? Let's look at this a minute.

Question: Have you ever said you'll NEVER do something and than find out later that you end up doing the very thing you were adamant you'd never do? I know I have! It seems like without fail, every time I have ever said, "I'll NEVER ....." than I find myself compromising in that area. This isn't confined to doing bad things. It can be something as simple as moving to a city we do not want to live in, taking a job we didn't want to take, going to a restaurant we hate, dating a certain type of person we know is not good for us, or even accepting treatment from someone that you'd normally forbid, all in the name of "love" or "family."

I believe each of us are weak and ARE all subject to being tempted. I'm first to raise my hand and say that I am. Pride comes before a fall. When we are puffed up enough to say we will NEVER do something, I think this attitude and declaration will be followed by a test to prove to ourselves just how strong we are. More often than not, we will fail this test. That's actually a good thing because we can learn that we aren't strong enough to do it alone. We need help!

When we say these words, I don't think we say it with any bad thoughts or intentions in mind. I think we declare something that we couldn't possibly know. Lack of wisdom I guess you could say. We say the things we hope to be true of us.

If it weren't for the grace of God, we'd all be in a destitute state. It is only by His power that I have my right mind, that I can walk and talk. It's not but by the grace of God that I have good health or my husband had a job to provide for us. There are so many things beyond our control and none of us know what we will or will not do when faced with any situation. "Consider yourself least ye also be tempted." If we are not walking close to the Lord, we are likely to fall every time.

I guess it all goes back to whether we trust in ourselves more than God. Do we really believe that we know more than he does? Do we see all and know what's around every bend in the road? Can you believe I woke up with this on my mind this morning and felt I should write this today? I didn't know what to say and it's literally taken me all day to write it. I just hope what I'm trying to say comes through.

Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that I'm not above doing anything. I know that I can be tempted. I know that I can fall. I know that I can do things that I never thought possible if I'm not close to the Lord. Things I said I'd NEVER do. Lord have mercy on me! I pray that we watch what we say.. It's not about using the word "never." It's about trusting ourselves more than we trust God. If we are not walking close to God, we are apt to fail on every promise we tell ourselves.

This blog is not to bash anyone or puff anyone up. I hope you read it with the heart it is written with. It is just to make you think. I'd like to find out if you feel the same way about it and any situations in which you said you'd never do something and than found yourself doing it later on. Big or small, feel free to share it. It may help someone else that reads this blog. Feel free to share this if you feel someone else needs to hear it.

I thought I'd share a song I like..

Thanks for reading!  Enjoy! ♥



No comments:

Post a Comment