Sunday, August 12, 2012

Pinterest! "To do's" went to "did do's!" :)

I did more than pinning today! lol If you're not on pinterest, you're missing out. I had an account and never really did anything with it for months. Than all of the sudden I found myself pinning everything I saw. Not really, but it sounded good. lol Anyhow, today I did three things I've seen on pinterest and wanted to share them with y'all.

 


1. First thing was buying a small water bottle and filling it with 1 part olive oil and 5 parts water. This will be a time and money saver! You use this to spray on frying pans before cooking to prevent food from sticking. I can't wait to give this a try! It seems plenty thick enough at 1:5 ratio. :)







2. The second thing.. With homeschooling, we go through a lot of paper when it comes to teaching them their lessons, especially math. We live in a travel trailer and I don't have a big dry-ease or chalk board nor room to put it. I saw an idea on pinterest to buy those page protectors for school work, taping the edges, and use them as dry-ease boards. Here's the link to the video on how to make them. The lady said they were super cheep, but when I went and looked at the price, I didn't find them very cheep to make, although her video was really informative. I recommend watching it to get ideas on the things that can be done with your new dry-ease boards.

Anyway, this is what I bought and put together for the kiddos. It is a report folder with the front being clear for them to write on and than I can put any piece of paper inside of it for them. It even has the 2 clips to hold the paper into place. Come to find out, just about any of these kinds of products can be re-purposed as a board for them to write on. These little dry ease markers are the best too! They have an eraser on the end so there's no need to keep up with extra erasers. They just keep this marker with their pencils. :)







 3. Last but not least.. We made doughnuts! This is who gets credit for this recipe! I didn't do exactly like the recipe so I'll post here how I made them. For further directions, I'd recommend you going to the link. It tells you how to make the chocolate frosting and how to mix up the cinnamon and sugar to have as coatings. I went with the all time favorite GLAZE on ours. This is so EASY, I can picture every person who reads my blog to go pick the ingredients on their next grocery trip and try it for yourselves! :)

First you buy some biscuits. They recommend Grands Buttermilk Biscuits. I used the Big Country Biscuits because they were sold out of Grands. I was told that the Texas Style Biscuits were good to use too. You need to cut a hole in the center. I bought cookie/biscuit cutter, but my holes seemed to be a bit big. Do they look to big to you? lol Anyhow, this didn't affect the taste of the doughnuts, so lets carry on. I took regular vegetable oil and filled a pan about 1/2"-1" high. The recipe says to warm the grease to 350 degrees. That was hard for me to gauge so I just made sure it was plenty warm before I dropped the first one in. My pan, as you see, held 4 doughnuts and 4 holes at one time. I cooked two batches which came out to 16 doughnuts and 16 holes. I recommend not overheating the oil. Just make sure you keep an eye on them when you first put them in. The darker they get, the more crunchy they get. Crunchy and doughnut isn't suppose to go in the same sentence. lol If you can tell in the bottom picture, the doughnuts on the far right, they are darker.. They really don't take long to cook on each side. Keep a close eye on them! You'll need some tongs to flip them while in the hot grease.

Once they are cooked, I pulled them out with the tongs and sat them on some paper toweled covered plates and added glaze to them. Oh my Lord, this glaze is GOOD! You mix 1 cup of powered sugar, 2 tbs of milk, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. Elijah mixed ours up and each of the children took turns spreading it to the top of the doughnuts with a BBQ brush. We ended up glazing both sides! Yummy! This is a must do! I highly recommend it and I think it's safe to say that we'll never buy doughnuts again! This is the way to go!

Another thing I bought to make was seasonings to make my own taco seasoning. Rachael Ray gets credit for this one! I found the recipe here! I am so going to make this! All I need to get is an air tight container to hold my mixture in. I bought the spices the other day. I get so sick of having pre portioned mixes. Sometimes you need more and sometimes less than what they give you in the packets. I can't wait to try this one! To bad I didn't have it mixed up a couple of days ago when I made tacos for dinner! Here's the recipe!

1 part chili powder
1 part ground cumin
1 part garlic powder
1 part onion powder
1/4 to 1/2 part crushed red pepper

Basically what every portion you use on one, you use on all except the red pepper. If you use 1 cup of chili power, you use the same cup on every ingredient till you get to the crushed red pepper and you only add 1/4 to 1/2 a cup. Make sense? I knew I had a smart group!

I have some other things I'm planning on doing/making. Walmart just didn't have everything I needed today. :( When I do more, I'll share them with y'all! :) If you'd like to follow me on Pinterest, You can find me here! Follow me!

Thanks for reading! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment